My Iraqi Saga

On Oct 1st, 2005 I got a letter in the mail. After 3 1/2 years out of the Army National Guard they called me back up. I had to report Oct. 30th. This is my journal from the day I reported. Hope you like it. If anyone would like to send me mail my address is: SPC Sanning, Stacy M.*next line*MNF-I STRATEFF(Press Desk)*next line*APO-AE 09316

9.02.2006

Happy 25th birthday!

I know I know, it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything. I hate to admit it but there just hasn’t been much to talk about till now. Up until this past week I have been living a very routine life…I haven’t done anything out of the ordinary. Work, eat, watch TV, read, sleep. I even lost my motivation to exercise; I’ve been so lazy lately. Thankfully I just enjoyed a 4 day pass, my 25th birthday and dinner with the General! Finally, something I can blog about!!

The 4 day pass was lovely and uneventful. I didn’t have a phone or laptop and was essentially cut off completely: a first for me. I read a lot, watched TV, hit the pool, and cleaned my room. Mostly I slept. That was the best part…getting to sleep anytime and as long as I wanted. Beautiful. Lately I’ve been sleeping about 5 hours a night so this was much needed.

Turning 25 was also much anticipated - now my car insurance goes down! I’ve been waiting for this for years! It was a good birthday, I had emails cards, calls, and care packages from everyone and I really appreciate all the love. I got some really cool books, some fun toys (sand toys from Mom, a slinky from Rachel) and some very sweet cards. Thank you everyone!

I also got a “happy birthday” from Major General Bill Caldwell (our big boss, the one who ives weekly press conferences on TV) and got to have dinner with him. It was pretty cool. He started a program, “Dinner with Soldiers” and once a week he sits down with two lower enlisted. It just happened that my turn came up on my birthday, lucky me. At first I was a little disappointed that I had to get into uniform on my first pass day but then I realized that this was a good thing, a birthday present from the General even. It was a great opportunity to talk to him about the things that are messed up with this organization. Maybe things will be better for the new unit that comes in?

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!
Sorry I didn't blog u earlier.

Chris Choate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home