My Iraqi Saga

On Oct 1st, 2005 I got a letter in the mail. After 3 1/2 years out of the Army National Guard they called me back up. I had to report Oct. 30th. This is my journal from the day I reported. Hope you like it. If anyone would like to send me mail my address is: SPC Sanning, Stacy M.*next line*MNF-I STRATEFF(Press Desk)*next line*APO-AE 09316

1.23.2006

hooah abuse

Hey all, I’ve been meaning to blog about this for awhile and keep forgoing it for more important issues. Since it’s been pretty quiet the last couple days I’m going to talk about something sooo meaningless about half of you won’t read this all the way through. I’d like to rant a little about the word “HOOAH” and its uses and abuses in today’s Army. When I went to Basic Training in ’99 we yelled out hooah as a war cry type of thing, a morale booster if you will. (It never really boosted MY morale but that’s not the point here. You know, the Marines say “oorah,” I think the Air Force jokingly says “fly,” maybe the Navy says “swim.” The Army says hooah. And now they say it a lot. It’s no longer a morale boosting battle cry. Now it’s abused to the point of no return. Soldiers use it to say, “Yes.” We use it to say, be right there.” If you really don’t have an answer for a question just holler hooah and everyone will understand the poignant reply and all its deeper meanings. Somehow. I find it’s a very nice subversion tactic. If someone walks up to ask if I’m working hard, all I have to say is hooah. And it’s really nice when someone is telling me what I’m going to be doing, or what rule just changed, or why they think we’re fighting this war it’s totally acceptable to just say hooah. That saves you the time, trouble, and wasted breath trying to diplomatically disagree. Life is so much easier with hooah in our vocabulary. There is a downside to hooah however. First, for all I know, other people are just saying hooah to me instead of giving an honest opinion or answer. Second, it’s so overplayed it become extremely annoying! I hear it everywhere! Sheesh. K, kids that’s all I’ve got. It’s a little disappointing to me to read over what I just wrote because I’ve been thinking about it for like a week. I blame lack of sleep. If I had gotten my full ten hours my brain would be tip top. I’m just glad I got the point across. I miss you all so much. Haha, I just realized that no one will probably make it all the way to the end of this blog to read how much I miss them. Maybe I’ll write a fresh one, just in case.

1 Comments:

At 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy,
Did you receive the package from the Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter in Springfield, MO? Enid E. gave us your name.
Fran frances_b_65705@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home