My Iraqi Saga

On Oct 1st, 2005 I got a letter in the mail. After 3 1/2 years out of the Army National Guard they called me back up. I had to report Oct. 30th. This is my journal from the day I reported. Hope you like it. If anyone would like to send me mail my address is: SPC Sanning, Stacy M.*next line*MNF-I STRATEFF(Press Desk)*next line*APO-AE 09316

1.24.2006

Surreal moment


Hey everyone! Like the new pic? SGT Snyder walks around like a sniper with his camera...snapping pics of anyone not paying attention. Thankfully he's kind enough to make me smile and laugh to make up for all the pics he's gotten where I'm talking or doing something equally weird looking in pictures. I hope this shows that I really do have fun at work. I mean, work aside, aren't you supposed to have a good time? hehehe... So I really wanted to mentally show you a snapshot of me this morning on my way to work. It was one of those moments in a person's life you wish someone else could have taken a picture and written a caption. I dunno, it really isn't that big of a deal, but to me it seemed sooo surreal! I was running a little late this morning and instead of getting all the way ready at home I did what any normal girl would do when she's running late to work...grabbed my makeup bag so I could take care of that in the car. But nowadays I don't drive myself to work in my little Mazda 626; I catch a ride to work everyday in a humvee with Kevlar helmet and body armor. So there I was, in total autopilot, getting ready in the humvee. I just undid my chinstrap, pushed the Kevlar off my forehead a little and did a quick makeup job. It was when I was putting on my mascara that it really dawned on me what a bumpy ride it was. About the same time we came to an intersection and I had to stop to make sure the road was clear to cross. Looking down the Baghdad street at other humvees, civilian vehicles driving crazy, and buses, it REALLY hit me that...my goodness! I'm putting on makeup...in a humvee...on my way to work in Baghdad, Iraq! That sort of realization usually slips right past me and it makes life so much easier to deal with. I get away with pretending my life is pretty ordinary and block out stuff that would point to anything other than that. But this morning was too much and I just had to laugh out loud at myself. hehe...just thinking about it seems so weird to me even now! Ah well, whatever. Miss you all bunches! Hey, if you're the praying type, take a moment and think of two of the guys from my unit here, SPC Claffey and SPC Rzepka are doing...uh...something (I don't know how much I can say here so I won't say anything I guess!) and it'd be cool if you kept the guys in your thought! Thanks!!

3 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger None said...

The same thing happens to me, too. Except for the make up part. I hate driving in Baghdad anyway, so make up would just complicate things.

http://codygraves.blogspot.com

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you want to feel normal (when were ever "normal") but is make-up really necessary? The boys are doing better-still cold symptoms but no more fevers.

Love, Jen and the boys

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my girl! Pretty is as pretty does, Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home