My Iraqi Saga

On Oct 1st, 2005 I got a letter in the mail. After 3 1/2 years out of the Army National Guard they called me back up. I had to report Oct. 30th. This is my journal from the day I reported. Hope you like it. If anyone would like to send me mail my address is: SPC Sanning, Stacy M.*next line*MNF-I STRATEFF(Press Desk)*next line*APO-AE 09316

2.08.2006

Freedom...ahhh...

Hello eveyone...just wanted to drop in and say hi. Nothing much going on here, it's been pretty quiet. We did have a get together where General Order #1 was excused for the night and we were each allowed 2 beers and got to wear civilian clothes...that was really nice! I found Stongbow beer which was awesome, sweet and apple juice-ey...mmm. I felt like a human being with choices and options for just a minute. I actually felt like a girl for a night. Dumb I know, but it's the little things that keep me happy here. That's the worst thing about being back in the Army, my loss of choices. In real life I get to wear what I feel like, I can move if another city sounds like fun, I can quit my job if I don't like the current one or don't think I make enough money. Don't like where I live? Look for a new place. Feel like eating somewhere new? Go to a restaurant you've never been to. I miss all the things I can do in real life that make me feel free. Every day I'm reminded of choices I don't have. There are no "hairstyles" in the Army...it's short and down or long and pulled back. Hmmm...what should I wear today? Maybe, oh I just can't decide...the uniform with or without an inkstain on the pocket? hehehe...lame, I know. But I DID get to go shopping the other day!! I went with my friend Tashina to another camp and went to the equivalent of a shopping mall for here. You know, 5 small Iraqi shops that sold cheap things? It was sooo awesome, seriously, I'm not being facetious! I got a blow dryer (it broke the first time I used it), a mirror (I can't hang it because the walls of my hooch are metal, I'm looking for magnets), some junk food (yay, can't go wrong with that!), a plastic set of drawers, and some pirated DVD's. All in all, it was a great day off. We were driving in an SUV (not a Humvee for once) with no mission, no time to be anywhere, just doing girl stuff. It was sweet. I miss shopping. It was pretty nice to just cruise around for no reason though...that's always nice. Who doesn't love getting in a vehicle and just driving? It doesn't matter where you're trying to go, if you get a little lost, if you don't take the fastest route. As long as you just let yourself go and just cruise, it takes a person back to the late teens when driving was the coolest and most free thing you could do. When I'm done with this deployment my roommate from Missouri, Branden, and I are planning on taking a road trip to Canada and I'm going to insist I drive. Totally free, no time to be anywhere, no responsiblities, nothing. Ahhh...on that note, I'm out. That is the last thought I want to leave you all with...freedom.

2 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger None said...

I got to miss the beer night because I was doing my last show. Lucky me.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strongbow is Cider not beer lol. And it carries the hangover from hell with it too.
Good luck if thats your favourite tipple : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home