My Iraqi Saga

On Oct 1st, 2005 I got a letter in the mail. After 3 1/2 years out of the Army National Guard they called me back up. I had to report Oct. 30th. This is my journal from the day I reported. Hope you like it. If anyone would like to send me mail my address is: SPC Sanning, Stacy M.*next line*MNF-I STRATEFF(Press Desk)*next line*APO-AE 09316

2.21.2006

a taste of freedom

hehehe...I can't believe I'm blogging about this but I got to drive yesterday!!! Seriously, I know I'm lame for caring this much about driving but I haven't driven a vehicle in sooo long...well, it was extremely nice. A great break. I didn't get to drive far, just to go get supplies, but I was in a Suburban with a radio and for just a little while I wasn't in Iraq, I wasn't a soldier, I wasn't in a government vehicle...I was just me for a minute and I loved it. I think that's what I miss the most, getting to be just myself. Anyway, I just had to share my little moment of freedom and peace with you all. I love you all and miss you bunches! By the way, for those who don't know yet...I am not coming home for my 2 week leave. I am, however, going to Ireland!! I'm super jazzed, I think the whole trip should be excellent! Maybe a little wet and cold but the trade offs should be totally worth it. If anyone's ever been and has any advice, please let me know. Much love-Stacy.

5 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacy,

I'm excited for you to be going to Ireland. I don't know how much Internet time you get but if you have time check out www.ricksteves.com. When Mike and I went to Europe we used his guidebooks because his philosophy is that it's better to see the out of the way places that aren't ruined by hordes and hordes of tourists. His website will tell you about places to stay that are cool but inexpensive and places to see that you may not otherwise even hear about. Anyway, sorry to sound like a commercial for his site but his info really made our trip to France and Italy one to rememember.
Take care of yourself and we miss you very much.

Lisa, Mike and Aubrey

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your coat gets to you in time to help you stay dry and warm. Look there for a camera since I am soooo lame about finding you one.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! remember if you run into a short 5'2" lady named Vonnie that's my dad's girlfriend.I also highly recommend trying the irish jig while you're there cuz what better place to make fun of the "lord of the dance" than in Ireland!

Chris Choate

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaaah! I feel for occupation soldiers.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stac, you should see this really cool car I get to drive. I crank up the radio, open the windows - and freeze my butt off because it's too cold to have the windows down!!! Aaah, freedom - and then dad calls me on the phone. Love you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home